SailNet Community - View Single Post - WTH!!!!!!! Silicone problem..
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
WTH!!!!!!! Silicone problem..

Picked up my new fwd hatch lens yesterday. Spent an hour or so fitting it to the *some sorta* plastic surround. Since the Lexan doesn't like anything but silicone or an odd mix of something. I stuck with silicone.
I was going to use black RTV adhesive/sealer; but a friend gave me a tube of "BoatLIFE" silicone..said it was what he used on his boat when silicone was called for. The instructions say that it skins over in 10 minutes and cures for use in 24 hrs..... Well!
I installed the Lexan last night at about 8:00 p.m. As of this past minute, the silicone has still not set, skinned over or anything even close to either! 60-some degrees in the basement; and now upstairs at nearer 65 for the last 4 hrs... still no joy. A sticky mess!!!

In my experience, when Silicone goes "bad" it simply sets. Old tubes of GE, OSI and others product; some never even opened, after a few years go solid. I've never had a sealer not set!

Anybody ever hear of this going off with a silicone product?
As it stands now, it looks like I'll hafta pull the Lexan and spend a half-gallon of alcohol to clean up the mess. THEN, I'll spring for a new tube of RTV and be done with it!

WTH??????

Last edited by deltaten; 03-08-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook