SailNet Community - View Single Post - Life Raft Purchase
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 03-08-2013
killarney_sailor
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Re: Life Raft Purchase

A couple of thoughts about this. Liferafts are very heavy, take this into account. When we bought our boat it had an Avon 8-person that I could not move by myself. I think that there are quality differences but the price differences are immense. We decided on a Viking 6-person offshore in a canister that seemed to be a good combination of price and quality. We got it at the New York boat show for just slightly more than $2000 which was about 40% of the price of Givens. Lesson, if you can wait for a boat show might be time to go shopping. Final thought, if you are moving your raft from boat to boat probably best to get a valise so you can store inside. Heard of more than one raft getting swept off deck when not attached really well to the deck.

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome