SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Contest/Game - Identify this picture

639K views 5K replies 130 participants last post by  obelisk 
#1 ·
It has been a while since I've seen a thread like this - the rules are simple: attempt to identify the location of the last posted picture in the thread. Once the picture poster confirms the first correct responder that person then gets to add a (sailing-related) picture to the thread and the game continues.

Since I'm no good at this type of guesswork my only chance of getting a picture into the thread is by starting it off with the following picture:

(click on picture to expand)​

See less See more
#2,901 · (Edited)
Nitmiluk National Park?

It's about 800 miles NW of Winston, where the Waltzing Matilda Centre is located. It's likely not the exact river in the song, but a good enough reference point. (Learned a lot about the song doing this research.)

And it's about 500 miles NE of the Prince Regent River.

(My backup guess is Gregory National Park.)

Regards,
Brad

#2,903 · (Edited)
My daughter suggested I use this picture.

It's 16 seconds into this video, taken spring of last year.

Name the body of water on Long Island's North shore. Hint, everyone was warning me about a particular submerged rock to starboard on the way in.

Regards,
Brad

#2,907 · (Edited)
Yes. I was standing on the bow during filming. Soderbergh wanted the scene back lit. The wind was very light off the port quarter so I set the autopilot under bare poles. It worked well. The water there can get a bit shallow at low tide. There wasn't much under the keel the whole time, but I'd earlier sailed around a bit and it was a pretty consistent depth. Those are our pillows.

They were great to work with.

Regards,
Brad

#2,906 ·
The rock is well inside. I'd never sailed there before, but I gave my son a sailing lesson at the south end of this area, right near where a lightship was docked, a few years back.

Regards,
Brad

#2,909 ·
Correct lightship.

She might still be in the bay where the filming was.

Regards,
Brad

#2,924 ·
Oh great :) That narrows it down to a couple of hundred Scottish Isles reachable only by ferry... How about the Isle of Arran, that ferry landing could be it and Arran is a good whisky to boot.

I recently had a tasting of Bowmore, the oldest Islay, which prompted my first post and I was fairly certain that I was thousands of miles away - just goes to show the power of suggestion and how the subconscious mind notices things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.