SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Salona Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviid View Post
Hi Paulo

One observation about Salona. They like to keep using their older hulls to save on costs. They did this with the Salona 38 which used the hull of the Salona 37 and the same for the Salona 35 which uses the hull from the Salona 34. Bavaria have done the same with the new cruiser 33 which uses the hull from the Cruiser 32. Both companies have changed the coachroof a lot to give a totally different look. I think that the hull shape on the Salonas looks a little dated but I am being picky.

Another innovation that I really like is from …lan who have a fold up table in the cockpit. Really easy to stow and to erect. Also, I think that recessed travelers in the cockpit should become standard across the range for Salona.

I love the bowsprit on the Salona 41 which doesn't seem to have a bob stay because it is in carbon.

Just my thought ...
Regarding maintaining the hulls of the previous boats (37 ans 34 and 42) on the 38, 35 and 41, that hull design is 7 or 8 years old. They modified the transoms, keels and rudders as well as the cabins. It talked with them about it and they said, with some reason, that the previous models are winning races and that some new buyers had the previous models and what they want is the same type of boat but faster with a better interior, that means lighter and with better keel and ruder design since the hull is still up to date.

I guess you are confusing hulls designed to perform better on certain conditions with out dated hulls. I guess you are talking about hulls with all beam brought aft, like on the Dehler. That will improve downwind control and stability (to an extent) but it will be detrimental for upwind performance and pointing ability. It all has to do with the balance on the boat in what regards performance.

Have a look at a slightly out dated hull, the one from the First 40.7, a recent boat with a great performance:

And now have a look at the hull shape of the Italia 13.98 (European boat of the year 2013):

a look of one of the best recent racing boat, the J111 (2011?):

and a look at the Salona 35 and 41:

See what I mean? Of course these are only 2D shapes but I guess that they are enough to give you a general idea.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 03-09-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook