Thread: Courtesy Flags
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Courtesy Flags

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Just a thought about courtesy flags at a decent price. We have had good success with the 12 x 18 flag that are designed to sit on a table (they come mounted on a stick). We get them at the US Flag Store, for something like $2.40 each (cheaper if you get more than one for a particular country. Really good for going through the Caribbean where you need lots of flags. These are not the highest quality but will easily last for more than a month. We bought more than one for countries where we would be longer. Hint: they sell British red ensigns. We bought a few spare ones and used parts of them (Union Jack and the other three quarters) to make other flags, for example we could not buy a Cook Island flag anywhere and the chief seamstress had to sew 26 stars onto it. We were also lucky enough to buy some leftover flags from the soccer World Cup for $5. These were excellent quality since they were designed to be flown from cars. Guess what I am saying is get them where you can. Flags from marine stores can be horribly expensive. In Oz, flags were $35, including Indonesia which is just half red and half white.
That's where I got my supply of courtesy flags:-) Now what to do with all those nice dowels!