SailNet Community - View Single Post - Delaware River Anchorages
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Delaware River Anchorages

I know Rick and Colin spend some time sailing the Delaware and may have some " local " knowledge of anchorages.

I dont ever hear you talk about anchoring out. I know Colin has found places in South Delaware River and Bay, How about north at all? Do any of your friends at your clubs/ marinas have a special place to go get out of the major lanes?

Anchoring in a tidal river takes a different set than anchoring in the Chesapeake where there is vortually no current/ tide. What we really judge is lee shores, out of the wind, out of the channel and just set our anchors, Spoiled we are

Poeple who anchor in New England have greater knowledge about current and rivers we have found. A great deal of their rivers are tidal in nature and it doesnt stop them from anchoring in them. The Delaware River is like them. Maybe not quite the scenic view as the Hudson or Conneticut River, but still on the water is always special. We have frequently anchored behind Reedy Island which we use as a staging stop waiting for current change on our trip down the Delaware. It actually is quite a beautiful safe anchorage as long as you dont stare at the nuke plant. Also you are a little expose from the South put you can tuck in and get some releif. We set a kellet to prevent anchor wrap and all is good.

What I am wondering is about other places to anchor and whether anyone has tried them as of yet.

The reason I ask is that we were thinking of taking a fall trip up the Dlaware River. I know its navigateable to Trenton

Specifically:
Salem River / Creek
Newton Creek
Just south of Woodburry Creek on the Jersey side
Behind Little Tinicum Island
Petty Island
Swede Run/ Plum Point
Rancoccas Creek
Croydon
Martains Creek

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook