SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raritan toilet expertise sought.
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Re: Raritan toilet expertise sought.

I think the only difference between the PH II and PHE II is that the PHE has an electric motor to drive the pump shaft. The internals of the pumps themselves should be the same and therefore the parts completely interchangable. As Faster suggested, call Raritan for the definitive answer. The 1200 C parts kit may include the parts for conversion of the pump from PH to PHE???

With regard to the cracking.... if the heads in question are original equipment (1978) it wouldn't surprise me that they might be cracking here and there. I've had a PH II in service since 2001 and have replaced the base unit once and the pump housing once. I've rebuilt the pump probably 4-5 times over the years. You'd be surprised the difference a new pump housing can make in the power of the pump.

The cracking may be caused by age, or it could be the result of prior owners using strong acids to clean the system. I was once an advocate of using diluted muriatic acid to clean the scale off, but we had a catastropic failure of the base of the head after a few years of using the acid. I've heard that other cruisers have had the same problem, so I have now switched to vinegar and changing out pump parts and the hoses more frequently. Apparently the strong acid has some effect on the plastic that does not lead to pleasant outcomes.

If the hoses on your boat are original, replace them.

Last edited by billyruffn; 03-09-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook