SailNet Community - View Single Post - West Marine no longer matching prices...
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013

witzgall is on a distinguished road
Re: West Marine no longer matching prices...

I think they made the change because the store managers complained every chance they had. They all are judged by metrics, like average $$$ per sale, average profit % per sale, etc, and this policy reduced their numbers.

Almost without exception, I was met with distain when I asked for a price match. This was the worst when dealing with the store managers themselves. The local manager here would complain loudly IN THE STORE about price matching, while I, and others shopped. I had another manger tell me they would gladly price match for some electronics purchases, but when I asked for the match, and told him of the website, he tried to get me to used a different, higher priced site for the price match. He actually took about 20 minutes of surfing the web for the items, looking at different prices, wasting my time, before he finally used the site I gave him. And it was not a fly by night organization's website.

If I was WM management, I would insist that the staff gleefully uphold whatever the company policies were, regardless of personal thoughts. This behavior was grounds for disciplinary action, in my opinion.

Chris