SailNet Community - View Single Post - Delaware River Anchorages
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
Re: Delaware River Anchorages

Dave I had my boat at one of the Essington marinas for about a year and it was not uncommon for folks to anchor behind (to the PA side of) Little Tinicum Island (Big Tinicum Is..is a thing of the past -- essentially part of Essington now). I have dropped a lunch hook there and found good holding. I have seen others anchor for a couple of days. You need to look at the charts and pay attention to depths. The current runs fast and the planes are loud (but totally entertaining if you decide to not let the noise bug you). I have been surprised that the CG and TSA don't hassle the boats who snug right up to the shoreline at the very base of the runway at the north end of the channel between the island and the shore (seems to be one of the most popular spots)

Another nearby place would be along the shore just south of Corinthian and West End Boat Club. The problem there is the fetch is probably 5+ miles to the SE and the river flows fast. In settled weather I have seen boats anchor here for a few days (Corinthian will also rent you one of their outside moorings if the members haven't reserved them first).

Personally, I have always wondered about spots to drop a hook closer to the city. I would venture into some of the old basins along Delaware Avenue except you seem almost sure to run into sunken cars and piles of concrete and rebar dumped in past years. Still, everytime I see a tug tide-up overnight at one of those spots, I wish I could do the same . . ..

-M

Last edited by blowinstink; 03-09-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook