SailNet Community - View Single Post - Delaware River Anchorages
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Delaware River Anchorages

Chef, there are very very few places to anchor. To anchor on the river, the wake from large ships is bad, but even worse are the stink potters with the big displacement hulls. We be talking like 4ft waves! tide runs fast. easy 4-6 knots, so there's that 6hr 180 degree turn to be aware of.

There is Tully town cove anchorage, SHALLOW! Also D&S has transient slips there. I go there for pump out. real shallow!

Neshaminy harbor is too small for any kind of anchorage. So you would have to take transient dockage

Now and then our YC club has beach parties on NJ side just across from Delaware River YC. good holding but but open to channel traffic.

Riverside and the Marina's there are also badly silted so a rising high tide is almost always the best time to enter. Very few of the YCs even are accessible for sailboats. Ours is one. Our docks are broad side to the channel so you can guess how bad it can get.

Far as I know if you are YC members from the Chesapeake most all the clubs are reciprocal.

Philly. $$$$ Farragut sportsman's assoc. (YC) is across the river and may have room but I guess you would have to call) There is a marina in Camden also. All of the big area anchorages at Philly and Camden are full of BIG ships and tugs.. almost always one or more on the move.. Homeland security flies over allot. coast guard has a station in Philly also.

Del Air Bridge is 46ft at low tide. (1st bridge just north of Philly) Call on ch. 13 and wait... and wait... tides run about 6ft up this way.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 03-09-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook