SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Full or fin keel?

Modern day sailboats try and emulate racing boats while being as spacious and/or comfortable as possible in their accommodations...while at the same time keeping production costs down. Speed is the main performance consideration....safety in "blue water conditions" is not factored into design as much as being byproduct of design. Boats of the sort I have were designed specifically with ocean cruising in mind, not trying to behave and/or look like a racer, not trying to be comfortable for the weekend sailor, not designed around what the marketing industry is trying to make popular.
My boat was designed around work boats of the time (lines are similar to a Gloucester fishing schooner). Just because a boat is of a modern day design doesn't automatically make it better, just because elements of rig are no longer used, doesn't make them inferior. I am not talking down modern boats just because they are new, but rather defending mine (there is nothing wrong with it just because it is old)....My boat was designed 75 years ago by one of the leading designers of ocean cruising yachts of the time (his designs are used in new "blue water boats" to this day), it was commissioned specifically as a single handed ocean cruiser with more of an emphasis of performance than accommodations (boats built for the American market seem to try and squeeze as many bunks in them as possible)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook