SailNet Community - View Single Post - Life Raft Purchase
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Life Raft Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Give them a call, they are very helpful. I understand that self-righting is a bit of a fairy tale. Easy to right is more accurate.

Survival needs add up faster than you would think. How about batteries that will run your flashlights, GPS, radio, etc for a week. Raft repair supplies. You will need a minum of 8 oz of drinking water per person per day for survival and you will still feel continually very thirsty. 4 people in the raft and you need a quart per day or a gallon and a half for a week. That's 12 lbs alone and it would nearly kill you having that little. Multiply it by 4 to really have enough. Your probably going to want an emergency desalinator.
After taking the safety at sea course and played with the life raft, I walked away with a feeling that the current design need lot of improvement, just poor engineering, inadequate testing and rush to market. Unfortunately, without much competition, this will continue.

1. If they make the canopy top with a spherical dome, supported by the light weight alum7000 post (camping tent). It will right itself every time.

2. The life raft should be user serviceable, the gas cartridge can be replaced without repacking.

Yeah, I have thought about having a RO system for emergency use. They are getting cheaper now.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook