SailNet Community - View Single Post - heat exchanger and motor paint
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: heat exchanger and motor paint

Jason,

As coincidence would have it, I'm in the middle of rebuilding my 4.108 -- you may have seen the thread.

I did a lot of searching for the exact color match for the Perkins. I wasn't entirely successful, but found two spray can options that are pretty close: Duplicolor's GM Blue, and Duplicolor's Chrysler Blue. I used the GM blue on a few parts before I finally decided to pull and rebuild the entire engine.

Since the beast is out, I'm going to paint it with Eastwood's ceramic engine paint. THeir GM blue is a bit lighter than the Duplicolor, but I can live with it.

As far as your h/x goes, while it's off the block I think I'd clean the bejeebers out of it with a wire brush and good detergent (Spray 9 works well), then rinse & dry it completely (a heat gun can speed up the process nicely.) Don a pair of nitrile gloves, mask any areas you don't want to paint, then spray it down well with brake cleaner and let it dry. Prime it with an engine primer, then top coat it with your chosen engine paint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook