SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Full or fin keel?

When I replaced my rigging last spring I asked the local rigging shop for advice and was told. "Hold on a sec....I think within this little box...you are outside this box....I'm sorry I can't help you". I have a fine rig, very efficient, just different....my point being that just because any aspect of a boat doesn't fall with in the tight little "box" that is modern day yachts.....doesn't mean it isn't a good boat. Alot of really kewl stuff has been replaced for the sake of something new....new does not necessarily mean better.

If I were ro get a fin keel I would get a Scanmar 40.....though there were only 20 built about 15 years ago. I worked for the US importer (gave me a chance to get to know the boat and boats from that manufacturer intimately) and at the time they went for $130K....if can find one now they would be located in Europe and cost about £70,000 ($110,000).....A really nice boat though.
Specs: http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=42024&url=

If I had the money I would have a boat built with the same lines as mine but 40-50%bigger, rigged as a schooner w/aft cabin, also strip planked.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 03-10-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook