SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI Flag Etiquette
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 03-10-2013
Re: BVI Flag Etiquette

Proper flag etiquette (i.e. Chapmans etc) doesn't really accommodate any "novelty" flags nor does it allow for any indication of the citizenship of those on board. However, flag etiquette isn't really an issue in the BVIs. On our charter last fall, we saw all kinds of novelty flags, flags from universities, sports teams, state flags, provincial flags and lots of national flags. We were Canadians aboard a Moorings boat owned by someone from New York state sailing in the BVIs so we had an American flag on the stern flagstaff and a BVI courtesy flag flying from the starboard spreader halyard. Had we chosen to bring a Canadian flag, I would have flown it under the BVI courtesy flag to indicate our home turf. IMHO, it would not be cool to replace the home port flag or displace the BVI courtesy flag from its place of honour at the top of the stbd spreader with anything else.
I don't usually like novelty flags but yours is pretty cool. There is probably a stbd burgee halyard on your charter yacht for the BVI flag and if so, I'd fly your flag under the BVI courtesy flag. If not, the backstay or shrouds would have to do.
Enjoy your trip.

Dave S
Georgian Bay, Ontario
Catalina 34 - "Good Idea"
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome