SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Full or fin keel?

Paulo- I'm not disagreeing .Think you are picking a fight where no fight exists. Once I decided I wanted a new boat and was willing/able to pay for it short list was a one off making use of many very recent construction and design parameters, the Boreal which some would think is a fast and possibly more forgiving evolution of the ONVI and the Outbound. Think Carl and Phil (had)have considerable real world experience.Still, as you look at boats old or new - you need to decide what makes sense for you. I wanted internal ballast, bulbed fin keel, solid glass hull, excellent turn of speed with safety and comfort in all conditions that would work for 2 as liveaboards. Dragged my wife through countless boatyards,spoke with countless owners and yard workers and saw many boat shows over the course of years.Have 35 years messing with boats. Looked at NA portfolios. Read multiple books about "favorable and unfavorable" features. Tried to educated myself about available contruction materials and techniques Did the due diligence to extent possible. Did research on service life, cost and availability of repair, + efficacy of repair. Decided what I wanted from the old and new. The Outbound will be my boat until I die lord willing. I'm not a European with the resources to buy a new boat every few years. To the extent possible knowing this was going to happen once wanted the comfort of other peoples experiences. I don't buy cars in their first model year either. Want others to work out the bugs. My boat's internior bears some basic resemblance to earlier versions but is quite different. Many coponents are different as Phil dligently learns from what hasn't worked in this design and what new changes will make this vessel the best it can be. You don't get that same evolutionary change with new molds and tooling. You may disagree with my decision or the Wolf's but to assume these decisions are not driven by intelligence and made on the basis of fanciful notions or resistance to change is absurd. PSC has just produced a multimillion buck Ketch with a single rudder-?Is that client unaware of what's out there for design or has he chosen those features old and new which make sense for him. Covey Island still makes makes excellent boats using modern wood construction but Gannon and Benjaman's boats are still coveted. Why do you have trouble understanding I learn from your thread and appreciate the advances but reserve the right to pick and choose what I think makes sense for me. I have a friend who likes Morris. Again old and new features. Some wish for a Shannon- new design but old school strength in no nonsense construction. The PSC, Morris, Shannon, new HR aft cockpits , Outbounds 46/52 are boats being built now. None are twin rudders/ hard chine boats.I understand the logic but it's not for me. To assume the CLIENTS ( not the N.As) don't have real world experience of their limitations ( time, money,physical health, use etc.) and don't know what they want is offensive. I do think that some of the boats on your thread are great boats. But I don't know which ones they are. I do believe I have a great boat.

Last edited by outbound; 03-10-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook