SailNet Community - View Single Post - Taking advantage of commercial airline when in Emergency?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Taking advantage of commercial airline when in Emergency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I am sure commercial airline does not equipped with VHF or monitoring on Channel 16. I have a feeling that there are more planes above the Ocean than ships, Just wonder for the little guys on the sailboat can take the advantage of them flying above of us to relay weather and emergency message.

Self reliance is a must, but the ocean doesn't have to be so lonely either.
I have thought of this as well and think it would be prudent to have the correct aviation frequencies programmed in to your radio. Anyone remember the recent flight off australia that heard the distress call from the yacht, descended and the captain asked the passengers to help look for it?

EPIRBS are great, sat phones are arguably better, but many of us don't have sat phones but do or will have SSB/ham radios. For the times when you don't want to fire off the EPIRB and have an AMVER freighter come alongside and evacuate you, the aviation frequencies could be a voice link when you're out of range of normal SSB/HAM voice transmissions.

It's another option that has the advantage of not costing any more than your currently installed radio. To take it one step further you could take a great circle chart of your area of ocean with flight routes marked on it. Could be a nice thing to have in a liferaft along with a handheld ham radio.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook