SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is cruising only for my parents? sorry, posted this one is general discussion too
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2006

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Justin,
Yacht design is a tough field to make a living in, lots of very qualified people and very few jobs. Over the years I have had the opportunity to design several boats ranging in size from 13í to 39í and itís really something to take an idea and a piece of paper and turn it into something as close to living as anything made by man.

The funny thing is that I regret not having some formal education especially in business management. I am very happy with my lot in life but I sometimes wonder what might have happened if I had a better education. When I was a kid I saw a lot of people that worked all there lives trying to make it to retirement and do things like sailing around the world. They retired and found that they were too old for things like that so I decided to sail first and get a real job later. I keep meaning to get that real job one day but I am having too much fun to stop now. However if I had it all to do over I would have taken some collage instead of setting out right after high school.

Hang in there and keep an open mind so you will be in a position to take advantage of opportunity when it comes by. I think itís better to try lots of things to find what you really enjoy instead of feeling stuck and working at one thing until you give up and die. Just make sure you can recognize a mistake when the time comes and always jump ship when itís time.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook