SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where can I park her?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: Where can I park her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateen Luffer View Post
Hi folks, I'm a new member who has a bit of experience. But what I'm not sure of is where I am allowed to anchor. Can I simply toss the anchor over the side wherever I like as long as I'm not in a marked channel?
Next question: is there any such thing as a public mooring? For instance, I live in Oakland, CA and let's say I sail across the bay to San Francisco. Is there a dock I can tie to for free and go have lunch somewhere? Or should I pay a marina? ~LL
I believe you can anchor anywhere you like, as long as it is safe to anchor there, and no specific restrictions apply.

By specific restrictions, I mean like the one in Clipper Cove where you can only anchor for so long without permission, ship anchorages, etc.

The main problem in SF Bay is finding spots where you would wish to anchor - ie, not vulnerable to chop, wakes from ships, and so on. There are surprisingly few spots that are both safe and comfortable.

I suggest getting a copy of :

Cruising Guide to San Francisco Bay - 2nd Edition: Robert Mehaffy, Carolyn Mehaffy: 9780939837311: Amazon.com: Books Cruising Guide to San Francisco Bay - 2nd Edition: Robert Mehaffy, Carolyn Mehaffy: 9780939837311: Amazon.com: Books