SailNet Community - View Single Post - anchorage etiquette
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: anchorage etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
We try not to anchor in the middle of the anchorage, but down wind as much as practical. However, when we are there first and someone anchors astern of us (or any vessel with two exhausts), then they can expect some fumes and noise, though I doubt anyone more than 30' away can hear our Onan. On the other hand we really don't appreciate it when a boat squeezes in up wind of us, then runs their gene all night long, but hey what you gonna do? Also the little, noisy gas generators running on deck make an anchorage most unpleasant.
This is the proper phoilosphy.
In regards to " Hey what you gonna do". There have been times, and it's happened plenty, that some one would anchor 2 boat lengths in front of me and fill my cabin with their exhaust. Most times I move with a mean stare in thieir direction. As I have to sail off the hook and don't have a generator or engine my self I had could hardly return the gesture. There are however more creative way's of dealing with these people. I learned many techniques cruising with Grandad as a boy.
I remember several all night gen. runners waking to their halyards on deck. ( my grandpa was A D-day jump'n 82nd airborn Original Bad A$$ with a low Horse Sh!t tollerance)
My fav. was the power boater in Eluthra back in '83, who woke up to find his Colmen deck gen. ( after many other display's of rude) missing completely. They did however find it tied to their anchor when they raised it to leave.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 03-11-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook