SailNet Community - View Single Post - Popularity of center cockpits?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Popularity of center cockpits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Dave, you can have both a big salon and a nice aft berth.

Sure, my cockpit is higher than a aft cockpit, and I'm a lot drier because of it. Motion comfort is only a factor in a rolling side to side sea which is easily fixed by a slight change of course to either take the sea more on the nose, or put some more wind/heel on the boat to firm it up.

I'd have to guess, but I think my cockpit from floor to coaming is about 3.5 feet deep, the center well/floor is over the engine compartment. On the starboard side the passage way to the aft cabin is 'under' the coaming, full 6'3" tall. On the port side that area is used for the aft head.

I think it's nice to have two heads, one for us, and one for guests/wet storage.

Here's the view on mine from the salon looking out the hatch. Notice how low it is

Notice I don' t have an engine "compartment" - the engine is under the steps where the cabinet is. The top of the hatch is about shoulder height on me - making it easy to pass stuff up to the cockpit.
Yours is one of the few CC under 38 I like. Designed that way from the beginning. Perfect for cruising or liveaboard. Remember I am not against the design...just that its applied haphazzardly in some applications

If your boat is to be for cruising a second head is a waste of space. I would rather have the addition storage space, but if my next boat had the two, I would turn the second into a pantry and storage. Besides How many times do you and guests use the head at the same time? A well designed boat with one head will have a seperate shower compartment for a wet locker and the head would be located close to the companionway steps.

No boat has every feature perfect ( well rarely). Its a compromise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook