SailNet Community - View Single Post - Popularity of center cockpits?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Popularity of center cockpits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Nah Dave, it's more about I don't quests going through my bedroom to get to the bathroom, that's why it's nice to have an alternative.

Remember, it's a home (or will be).
Gottcha...your one head is an insuite not designed to allow entry from the salon I assume.

I guess what we look for may be different.

When we do go cruising for months only my wife will be aboard. I am looking for what is going to be the majority usage of the boat which is that. The few times we have company guess they will share our head and shower. I am looking for our comfort and usage mostly not someone who spends a day or two with us. Oour boat is outfitted for us....not others

Everything I have seen and read and experience of friends is that when cruising space aboard is a premium, especially storage and living space. To me if having an extra head means i have less salon space or less storage space, it isnt necessary. Its all a compromise as you only have a finite space. If a CC takes away from my salon space....I dont like it. The CC
we like dont.

I look at how we use our house and try and imagine we will use our boat the same. We spend most of our time in our family room/ On the boat that is either the cockpit or the salon. We spend very little time in the bathroom except to releive ourselves and shower. We actually spend very little time awake in our bedroom. So to us while we like to have a comfortable bed...it doesnt have to rival the salon. The salon is where we live.

I dont need the added expense of dual heads, dual mascerators, dual holding tanks ( another waste of space) dual head hoses, dual shower pumps etc. Id rather have an extra 36 gallon water tank....than a 36 gallon sh^t tank. All those things right there equal a nice solar array or a watermaker. Both which make life easier for a cruiser. My funds arent limitless. I would rather have things I need, than the just in case items.

There is no right answer here , just the ones which each of us subscribes to as whats important to our lifestyles and way we want to cruise. I am not putting down or saying my way is right, except it is what is right for me. to each his own....whatever floats YOUR boat.

Getting back to theOP thread I cant say that I like or dislike CC boats. Some I like...some I dont. Same with aft cockpit ones. If they were unsafe or uncomfortable, they would build them I would think. I have sailed and looked at many boats. The majority I really like are aft cockpits, but there aresome nice CC I do like. Eds, yours yes, Daves yes....others no way...too many compromises.

BTW there is no perfect boat unless you build your own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-11-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook