SailNet Community - View Single Post - Professional Liability Insurance for delivery or hiring crews
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013

Andrew Burton is on a distinguished road
Re: Professional Liability Insurance for delivery or hiring crews

Having just read through the policy for my own boat, I notice there are provisions for hiring delivery skippers. It's a pretty common extra.

I've never heard of a delivery captain carrying insurance to deliver his client's boats. He'd have to get a separate policy for each boat; one policy wouldn't cover both a boat worth $30K on one trip and another with a dinghy worth that. And me having to buy a policy would mean a rate increase, costing an owner much more than merely getting a rider on his.

I've been in the business so long that I have a history with most insurance companies and can say to my client, "Just tell your agent that it's me delivering your boat." They usually get by with a minimal, if any, extra cost. I just got insurance for a client whose old wooden boat I'm delivering north from Central America. He couldn't find any insurance at all--even for himself--until I made a call.
This is one of the benefits of hiring a pro to do a delivery.