SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Full or fin keel?

Paulo with all due respect I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Our perspectives are different. What I'm saying is there are boats being designed now with basically the same parameters as my boat that do not incorporate the features you skillfully demonstrate concerning canue shape, chines, torpedo bulbs with bulb in part in front of fin etc.Construction techniques and materials are different. But at the end of the day what the owner is able to do, how he/she is going to use the boat and in what environment the boat is used impact on what boat he wants to build. For me a triple track boat increases the odds I'm going to pick up lobster pots or need a diver, solid glass means I can get an excellent repair ( god forbid) most anywhere, weight means more comfort to me and less sensitivity to loading, resale value is secure etc. All I'm saying is what's best for me even in your rational world may not be the "best" by your parameters and I'm writing the check. In your an ideal world you would have the resources to replace your boat annually and make use of all advances. In my world I will pick and choose what advances I want to make use of in view of what makes sense for me. I am not saying they are not advances but do expect Phil to use these molds for years to come as this boat makes sense to me and many others.