SailNet Community - View Single Post - anchorage etiquette
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: anchorage etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Quite frankly any generator use in our idyllic anchorages I personally find rude, but people do it. Many seem to now "accept" sun up and before cocktail and after breakfast hours are ok. I don't personally but that's just me..

With the majority of boats on this coast sub 40' I find little justification for generators use. DC systems and battery management can easily be manged on boats of this size without a generator.

When our anchorages get to glass calm, as they do many an evening, even the "quiet" Honda's can be heard for a LOOOOOOOONG distance...

I actually just left a boat after installing a custom alternator, regulator, battery monitor and re-wiring the charging system. He is also getting solar.

I just took measurements and am now at a coffee shop ordering a custom battery box for some industrial L-16 Trojan batteries. The owner wants to be 100% self sufficient and is adamant that he will NEVER use a generator. He is paying me good money so he is NOT rude to others and this whole upgrade was caused and set into motion by a RUDE boater. Kudo's to him!

Maine is a little different than most places but I like the peace & quiet. Sadly more schmucks buy Honda's and gensets every year and they are slowly ruining how idyllic Maine once was to cruise. Honda generators are NOT quiet !!!!!

@#!*% we watched a 50'+ power boat come into an anchorage, the owner dropped anchor from his enclosed flybridge then went down into the cabin and fired up what had to be a 50" TV and proceeded to plop in front of it while his genset ran 24/7.. The guy never stepped out of the cabin in the 7 hours we endured his exhaust before upping anchor and moving. May his props find some good solid Maine granite...
I'm bett'n his anchor and chain were too small as well. It's in moments like that, I call on the spirit of my fore mentioned Grandpa, and find a creative and slightly less harmfull, yet sporty way of dealing a card of justice. Sometimes we need to teach these dudes "what's what" out there. First a polite request, and then the good 'ol "I tried to tell ya!" I've lived on the hook since I was 8 years old. 33 years later, I've come to realize that there are those that are and those that are'nt. Sometimes a little push towards curtousy will make the world a better place for everyone these dip sh!ts encounter later on.