SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Full or fin keel?

I never said "all boats....".actually the opposite, I have continued to point out how people generalize too much. There are those who have "museum piece" boats, which they keep "historically correct" (or at least their interpretation), kept shiny and pretty (and run for cover when anything over 10kts kicks up)....they take them to boat shows sailing on sunny days. My boat was designed 75 years ago, but is not a "museum piece"...the building process included techniques that didn't exist when it was designed (which were improved on later on). The boat was designed as carvel plank, but was built as strip plank, glued and covered with fiberglass (later replaced with fiberglass using epoxy resin), there was alot of lamination and fiberglass work in the construction....not "historically correct". AS well as rig tweaks that differ from the designer's original plan.

As far as the age of the boat.....in SAILNET polls "What age is your boat" 82%+are over 20years old while 4% are 1-4years old. There is no reason to buy a factory new boat.....for the cost you can find something far better and have money left over (A used SWAN costs less than a new Catalina ). Buying a new boat just because you can afford one is a waste of money. Of course what keeps the marine industry alive is people who have more money than they have time and/or sense...people who should spend more of thier time sailing.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 03-11-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook