SailNet Community - View Single Post - Professional Liability Insurance for delivery or hiring crews
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: Professional Liability Insurance for delivery or hiring crews

Andrew,
You are certainly entitled to your rant. Different folks have different approaches. I agree that there is a philosophical difference among sailors and many of us on Sailnet.

I am not a captain, delivery or otherwise. I do however own a business. My general liability insurance doesn't protect me so much as it protects my wife and children. It protects my family from losing our assets. I see it as necessary for being a professional in business where certain risks are mine to assume in return for which I am able to charge a fair market rate for my services. I doubt you will find many professionals such as doctors, engineers, attorneys, etc. practicing their profession without liability insurance. I don't see why a professional delivery captain would want to operate differently. I can think of thousands of reasons why insurance is a good idea for professionals but only the cost can I see as a negative. My $1M policy is almost a negligible operating expense. And as a business I count insurance as an operating expense that comes off the top before taxes.

It is my understanding that you can refuse to leave your vessel even if the USCG orders you off. I don't believe that you will be able to enjoy the benefits of having a captains license if you do though.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't carry insurance to protect others, I carry it to protect me and my loved ones.

To each our own I guess.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook