SailNet Community - View Single Post - Professional Liability Insurance for delivery or hiring crews
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Professional Liability Insurance for delivery or hiring crews

The reason i posted the questions is to learn how to minimize my exposure to ludicrous lawsuit. If I ask my lawyer, he will say:

1. I don't want you to delivery for any boat for anyone with or without compensation.
2. I don't want you to crew for others
3. I don't wan to hire any crews unless you are in a LLC

If you don't follow my advise, I will double my fee when I need to defend you. In this type of scenario, even you win, you lose big time. Obviously, there is no way that I can follow his recommendation. They are absurd. But the liability is real.

If you have two crews, you tell them tethered at all time at night and never go out on deck. You come up to the deck at night, he is missing. His family lawyer does some homework on your net worth. And decide to take legal action.

Many of us are not like that. But the exposure is there. This will suck all the fun out of sailing.

Therefore if there is a professional liability in place, I would be more comfortable. Architect, engineer, Physician, Nurse, pharmacist and etc have liability for their practices. Captains and owners should have it too if you want.

I am just sayin'

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook