SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips for dropping in an A-4?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Tips for dropping in an A-4?

I can understand you being anxious to get your "new" engine all set up and wanting to try it out. I think you need to take a deep breath though.
You will not be able to clean up the area under the oil pan once the new engine is in AND there is really no point putting a new engine in if the stringers/engine bed are not rock solid.
I am also curious about the warranty this mechanic is offering. Is he the one who rebuilt the engine?
If you have already run the engine (hopefully Rotella T 30w or 15W-40 oil in it) then you have splashed oil around the gearbox. If you are at all worried about the cylinders as Denise has suggested then simply squirting an ounce or two of Marvel Mystery Oil (rust inhibitor) into the spark plug holes is not a bad idea at all. Then turn the engine over briefly or use the hand crank to turn the flywheel a few turns to help spread the MMO around.
Swapping one A4 for another should be a straightforward proposition but do take the time to make sure you have done everything you need to before that engine goes back into what is usually a pretty tight engine compartment.

I'm still waiting to hear what kind of boat you have and what year?

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook