SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Candidate options wanted
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat Candidate options wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
What would you consider your oldest, acceptable production year?
Well that of course is the real question?

I've spent a lot of time on 20 to 30 year old boats.
I've also interviewed many many owners and read countless blogs and stories.

The conclusion I have come to is that unless you do a complete rebuilt which I don't want to devote the years to the older the boat higher the probability that several important items will "come due" during the time I own the boat.
It seems a lot like musical chairs.
So I can't answer that question exactly.
It is apparently ultimately a crap shoot. New is no guarantee, brand is no guarantee, surveys miss a lot, Refits can be problematic.
I'm just trying to stack the deck in my favor.
If I could spend 200k sail for 3 years and sell the boat for 200k that would be a much better deal in my opinion than buying a boat for 50k putting three years and 100 into it and selling for 50k after 6 years.
But you never know. I might spend 200k still have to put 100k into it and sell for 100k. The worst of both worlds. That last plan would devastate me financially. I would never recover.

What I'm getting at is that I'm 62 my father is still alive and healthy. I want to be as prudent as possible so I can still have fun but not end up penniless.
My problem is that I'm not wealthy enough so I can afford to loose a couple hundred k.
But I have enough resources so I could if necessary buy a boat in a wide range of cost categories.
That makes the choices harder in my opinion.

At some point we all have to take our chances or not, there are no guarantees in life.
I figure there is nothing wrong in looking before leaping however.

Last edited by davidpm; 03-12-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook