SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: SpeedDream project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Alice View Post
An interesting boat, talk, project (also see Paulo's ("PCP") post #3145, last October) -- this video presentation and blog are new since then:

From Impossible Idea to Reality - the World's Fastest Sailboat: Vlad Murnikov
From Impossible Idea to Reality - the World's Fastest Sailboat: Vlad Murnikov at TEDxBeaconStreet - YouTube
(TEDx Talk)

Brian Hancock "creative and media director" for the project has a blog and Welcome; comments on upcoming Volvo Ocean race classes: "Innovate, or die."

An 80% canting keel.

Thanks for posting. This is indeed an interesting idea but it seems that it is not working out at least on the first boat. They don't seem to have enough RM. The conditions seem pretty soft, with not too much wind and they have to balance the boat with the weight of the body. Contrary to what I think Murnikov expected, when the keels comes out of water the boat seems to lose quickly stability.

I guess that it is because the keel work as a foil and creates stability even if it was not maximized for that, like on this project (DSS):

INFINITI YACHTS from Q&K on Vimeo.

Infiniti 36 GT Sea Trials from Q&K on Vimeo.

Maybe we can combine both projects: Maximizing ballast effect maintaining it at the better angle to provide Max RM while profiling that keel to aerodynamically make a downward force. Maybe it is not much difficult to make a variable profile with small servo electric engines (like on an airplane).

That way it could be possible to maintain the keel always in the better position (slightly inside the water) adjusting the profile to give more or less downwind force according with wind intensity.

For working that way that bulb has to be modified, giving it a much more elongated form, diminishing drag. Like it is, it was made to be out of the water and now it would be inside the water all times.

It seems that they don't go that way and I don't like the way they are going. It seems to me that those wings on the new modified boat will be just to provide more RM trough the displacement of the weight of the crew. That would not work out on a bigger model. In fact if they want to test for a bigger model the way they are doing it makes no sense. The RM provided by the weight of the crew will have in the smaller model a completely disproportionated effect providing much more RM than it would be possible on the bigger boat where the crew will weight proportionally a lot less regarding the total weight of the boat.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 03-12-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook