Thread: virgin
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Don't remember specifically quoting you at all but it must have hit a nerve I guess. Oh well.

I did walk the walk. He asked for suggestions for his trip. I provided a suggestion.

I guess I tend to give people more credit than to just assume they just walked out of a bowling ally and then stumbled on Sailnet and decide to take up sailing. He stated he's been racing for several years, I would think he knows his way around a sailboat and can manage to check on the weather before he leaves port. He said he's going to give the boat a complete going over prior to his trip, I'll assume he knows what he's looking for. He's going on a coastal cruise to Ventura, not an open ocean voyage to Hawaii.

But you can continue to be "realistic" if you want.
Nnot a nerve, but I know I was the most concerned/ negative about it, just beacsue of his safety. Do you have children who sail? Would you have the same attitude or concern for them and give them same advice in the same exact situation?

Racing on a Hobie 16 or small boat in a protected large bay is porportionally differnt than the Ocean in a boat he has seen only in pictures.

Quote:
my sailing experiance is bay sailing in galveston bay. crewed on 2 person einsons for several years. captoned my own g-cat for acouple of years. also crewed on a hobbie 16 , racing here in the texas area for a couple of years with pretty fair resuilts. the boat- havent seen it except in pix.
Nope not headed to Hawaii...thats actually safer in a way..negotiating coastal currents, shoaling water from the deep ocean with swells traveling thousands of milers which build in shallow water near the coast, can be more challenging. Especially if he is close to a lee shore and has a problem or issue with a boat he has only seen in pictures, has gone over once, and is by himself with experience on small boats.

Its all good though. I am just cautious and overly safe maybe. I hope he gets through it ok and he probably will. Hopefully he posts some pictures so we can enjoy his adventure. I wish him well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-12-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook