SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat under $5000 for Puget Sound
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Sailboat under $5000 for Puget Sound

Hi, I am in Oregon visiting family and getting supplies ready. Soon I am going to go up to Puget Sound to buy a sailboat under $5000 to sail to the San Juans and Gulf Island, well the PNW, wherever I feel to go at the time.

Should be done singlehanded.

There's not as many options on craigslist as I'd like, but there are some. Not enough that I can really pick a boat and find it, say I'd like a Cal 25, there's not necessarily any listed, but there is a smattering of nice boats listed. I though I'd post this here so I can ask questions and get general advice on boats I see. Also, the boats in Seattle sell the fastest, and the rest are spread around the sound, so I don't want to drive to far for a poor candidate.

Today my two questions are:

1: One boat said the bottom was redone with a roller and enamel paint last year. Maybe he was just talking, but is enamel used for bottoms? You know some people do some strange things.

2: A "nice " interior was partially redone with non marine grade materials. Stuff from home depot to make counters and wood trim.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook