SailNet Community - View Single Post - Modern design + full keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Modern design + full keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
Island Packets are the only ones I know that are full keel in production. I know Bob Johnson has change the design of the keel a few times over the years. Having said that I am not sure if he is building many boats these days.

And if we are going to be technical about it, an Island Packet is a very long fin keel with a post hung, spade rudder. And I am not sure that I would call that a modern boat. Jus' say'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuss
Thanks for the comments.

I'm sorry I didn't make myself very clear perhaps, or at least could have been more specific. I actually mean the hull shape as opposed to the interior.

Most of the full keel boats I see on the internet look to me like those very old fisherman boats one sees so now and then.

I'm trying to find out if there is anything that resembles what we see in a modern sailboat of the manufacturers I mentioned above. For me that would mean a smaller cockpit area, a flatter hull, not so many big windows, etc.

Anyways, something that looks more like a bavaria 42 than a tayana 37.

I understand that perhaps I what I'm after is just impossible or unthinkable in boat design, if that is the case then I just want to know that and ideally why if someone can help.

But for the most part, I don't know of any boats that have a modern hull form and rig but with a full keel. There are quite a few boats with traditional looking hulls but with modern keels and rigs.

In reality, boat designs operate as a system. Modern hull forms have comparatively little drag and so would not work well with a high drag keel or rig. You would end up with a pretty foul craft with all the liabilities of both schools of thought but that did nothing very well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 03-12-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook