SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Irwin 37 project owner!
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013

3quartertime is on a distinguished road
New Irwin 37 project owner!

Hi all!

New owner of a 1979 Irwin 37 project! Might have been short a bean or two for buying her and surely will be most definitely mad by the end, but I'm smilin now!

Quick back ground:
Spent a few years living aboard with Uncle Sam's canoe club. Then a couple of years working for Wellington Boats in Jax, FL. Loaded the Packard up and visited central Indiana for about 20 years. Owned a few small sailboats and enjoyed them with my daughters. Wanted a bigger boat, but the area just didn't support it's use so well. Relocated to SW FL last summer. Lots of big water and boats. Find and buy a PROJECT Irwin 37.

By PROJECT i mean;

The boat was in a storm. Piling/dock rash on both sides. Mast appears to have came down as the two cap stay chain plates need replaced and the boom attach fittings are bent. Most of the stanchions will need to be reattached. Don't believe the boat was sunk. The inside will need a major cleaning and refitting. The electrical is a mess and will need replaced. The engine is complete, but will need rebuilt.

The good, (as I see it!);

The boat appears to be solid. The previous did a bottom job with all new thru hulls and ball valves. It was in the water for the last couple of years, but the previous is a diver and scrubbed the hull regular. The deck has no apparent soft spots. The previous bought new cap stay chain plates and complete new rigging.

So like I said, PROJECT! lol...

I'll be searching a bunch for info and pestering the Irwin folks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook