SailNet Community - View Single Post - Portable micro electric generators
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 12-30-2006
camaraderie
moderate?

sailaway:
"My battery charger requires 535 watts input" ...means about 4-5 amps which the Yamaha is capable of. The question is what is the OUTPUT of your battery charger with that input. At 100% efficiency 535 AC watts = about 45 DC amps which probably means you'll get something like 30 AMPS. This may be enough for your battery bank...kinda depends on your dailiy use on a 21 footer. For most cruisers, with refrigeration and autopilots etc. this would not be enough.

For something utilitarian that can come in handy in a lot of situations...it looks great. I have a friend with a Pacific Seacraft 37 that bought the honda1000 and is really unhappy with it since the charging output is quite restricted and he wishes he had spent the $$ for the 2000W unit and the higher amperage for his much larger battery bank...so...it all depends on your need. I really liked the DC output feature on the Yamaha but i wonder why they were so restrictive on the output... guess it would have raised the price too much to beef that up.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome