Thread: virgin
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road
Re: virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
As I said in an earlier post, it's sometimes difficult to strike the right balance between skepticism and encouragement. But I'm sure you're aware that your statement above is a gross oversimplification. To the point of being actually untrue. In the whole history of human endeavors, the one thing held in common by people who succeed at difficult things is preparation. The OP showed extremely obvious signs of not being prepared for this trip. What's wrong with pointing this out to him? He asked for suggestions and that's what he got. Honest, sensible suggestions.
Because nothing was mentioned about preparation. It was about experience. Two different entities. Go back an read through. He mentions he's going to give the boat a good going through and ready her for the sail. That's it. I'll take him for his word. That's the preparation. He was ridiculed for his lack of experience on "open ocean sailing" on a coastal cruise. Totally different discussions.

Please send me a list of that "whole history of human endeavors" I'd love to read about it. Doing a coastal cruise in a sound boat with NO weather and knowing how to sail isn't quite climbing Everest. Maybe on the East coast it is, IDK, never sailed there.

Nothing is wrong with pointing out something to someone who's asking for the suggestion. Nothing at all. What's wrong is the ridicule and belittling he felt he received from those posts. To call them "suggestions" would be a stretch.

This thread is getting silly. The OP isn;t even here.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook