SailNet Community - View Single Post - Modern design + full keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013

zeuss is on a distinguished road
Re: Modern design + full keel?

My initial thought was that with a full-keel a modern boat could benefit by becoming more stable (hence safer) in blue waters. At this point I didn't know that the impact of the hull design would have that much of an impact on the overall performance of the boat. This relationship is what I was curious about. I now have a better idea as to why. Thanks guys.

I personally like the design of modern boats, but the thought of going to sea (coastal initially) with boats that have been labeled as "unstable" by many as soon as the wind picks up is not really reassuring.
I know this may be an exaggeration from my side, that there are loads of boats with fin keel which are indeed very stable indeed, perhaps I'm being too conservative here? I'm all for safety at sea no matter what.
As I said above, I'm fond of these new boat designs, but I wouldn't go as far as to trade safety for beauty, unless I can do something to get similar performance (stability, safety, etc).

I don't care so much about speed as long as the boat is not one which would force me a fast escape from mid winds.

Last edited by zeuss; 03-13-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook