SailNet Community - View Single Post - EPIRB or PLB for coastal cruising
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: EPIRB or PLB for coastal cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
I can't decide which of these two devices is best for my intended purposes - mid-Atlantic coastal hopping, no more than 100 miles offshore. I don't want to spend the money for both.

The benefits of the PLB is lower cost and ability to clip to my life jacket or harness for a fall overboard. The disadvantage is shorter battery life when activated and need to keep antenna above water for transmission.

The benefit of an EPIRB is extended signal, automatic activation, and ability to function by floating in the water by itself. The downside is initial cost.

Your thoughts?
As with Life Rafts, the value of the difference between the devices, and their relative costs, cannot be evaluated as clearly while standing on a showroom floor as they can while standing in waste-deep water in one's cockpit. Buy both. They are cheap insurance. For example, see GPS Store
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook