SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips for dropping in an A-4?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips for dropping in an A-4?

I did this a couple of years ago. Starting with the old engine in place I took lots of pictures for reference.

I should have replaced the exhaust at the same time! O-well! That is done now. I did clean and paint everything with the engine out. I added a fw heat exchanger so locating and installing that got consideration with the engine out of the way. My boat, an I-28, has a fg engine bed and was sound as were the mounts. I used a couple of pieces of angle iron to act as rails to slide the rebuilt into position. Blocking and jacks helped. I did it alone.

Alignment was a concern but once I had the rebuilt back on its undisturbed engine mounts I checked it with a "trick" used around here. Three bolts secure the shaft coupling to the transmission flange. I took three small pieces of paper and placed them against the transmission flange between the bolt holes. I rotated the shaft and waited for one of the scraps of paper (the surfaces were clean and dry) to fall out because of an alignment issue. I repeated this "test" several times and all three pieces were firmly held in place by the coupling. Satisfied that things were fairly close I tightened things up and have had no problems.

Good luck.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 03-13-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook