SailNet Community - View Single Post - EPIRB or PLB for coastal cruising
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road
Re: EPIRB or PLB for coastal cruising

Ok fair enough what if you were solo? For anyone who has never fallen overboard at night, solo, in rough conditions let me paint a picture for you. I slipped on my tether and fell overboard on the windward side of the boat. The immediate shock of the cold water was followed by the knowledge that my foulies were sure to be my demise. My strength was zapped from the cold water " I am very fit" the foul weather gear was like a huge water brake and had me pinned to the stern quarter, the boat healed and I slipped lower on the hull, when the boat righted I was dragged under and not strong enough to pull my self above the water line, this happened several times. It felt like I was being dragged under water behind a ski boat doing 40 knots. To this day I don't know how I got out of this mess but I can assure you even if I could have located and set off my plb I would have drowned long before anyone found me. YOU CANT BUY SAFETY repeat YOU CANT BUY SAFETY.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook