SailNet Community - View Single Post - Weatherfax audio file for testing
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013
WindyCitySailor

tombesore is on a distinguished road
Re: Weatherfax audio file for testing

Here's a link to the current schedule of WeatherFax transmissions by the Coast Guard.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/rfax.pdf

Set your dial frequency to 1.9KHz below the stated frequencies and keep the radio on USB. You can get this signal from a simple Grundig handheld radio with a nice long wire antenna and feed the speaker output right into your iDevice.

Amazon.com: Grundig Globe Traveler G3 Portable AM/FM/Shortwave Radio, Black - (NG3B): Electronics Amazon.com: Grundig Globe Traveler G3 Portable AM/FM/Shortwave Radio, Black - (NG3B): Electronics

If you don't have access to a radio, I am open to experimenting via Skype or Google+ with you if you'd like me to tune my receiver to these frequencies and feed you the audio remotely. It could be a cool group demonstration on a G+ Hangout.

I've experimented with these transmissions and it's really hit or miss depending on the time of day, frequency selection and daily noise level. It makes for an interesting experiment, but I prefer to get my weather by voice broadcast, satellite or even HF email. It's not so frustrating as when the signal starts to fade on your wefax picture!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook