SailNet Community - View Single Post - Arriving to Puerto Rico from USVI read this!!!
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road
Re: Arriving to Puerto Rico from USVI read this!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Derogatory? The facts are simple, it is a war prize, nothing more and nothing less.

The US forcibly took possession of PR from Spain in the Spanish American war. That Spain had "discovered" "conquered" "subjugated" or whatever you want to call it previously, has no bearing on the fact that the US took possession of PR as a prize of war.

Now, as to whether the continuing status as an insular possession is derogatory...I can't tell you. If anyone in PR feels defamed by that status, they can get up and vote for Statehood and take all that brings. But apparently a majority of Puertoricanos feel that it is to their advantage to be less than a State. Or, someone keeps casting the votes that way.

Meanwhile, it remains a war prize, and the concepts of independence and freedom, however illusory, don't seem to be the ones valued most there. Go for statehood. Go for nationhood and independence. But, to stay in limbo as a war prize?

That's a concious choice, by the folks who live there.

Chicago, DC, and N'Orleans oughtn't to be lumped into the same bucket as each other, fwiw. DC has a truly unique status, of being a city without a state. Three towns, each with some unique attributes.
As a born Puerto Rican from my island I think I'm fairly more educated about Puerto Rico than you are... have you ever visited Puerto Rico? I bet not but somehow you've become the defacto expert on Puerto Rico and it's politics and why in Congress they have not voted Puerto Rico to become the 51st State... there are many good reasons why too and as I mentioned this is not for this forum but you might want to ask the Hawaiians and native Alaskans how well they're doing after most of their land and homelands are now gone to other people not of the native population or why somehow their native language has strangely gone away except for the native population that still converses among themselves ... maybe that is the reason Piuerto Rico has made the official language Spanish although the U.S. government language used in U.S. government business is English... maybe Native Hawaiians/Alaskans wished they'd thought of that too in hindsight!

Funny that we Puerto Ricans were also U.S. Citizens since April of 1899 while many calling us half asses came to this country on boatloads into Ellis Island back in 1910 and later without a dime in their pockets as well... at least I and many others can lay claim to being in Puerto Rico or Porto Rico as it was before the 'war prize (sic)' since the 1700's...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook