SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bottom Painting and color question
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013

rbyham is on a distinguished road
Bottom Painting and color question

Well after completing work on the frozen rudder (see my other thread) I have gone on to a couple of other projects. I found serious crud in the onboard gas tank and rather than clean have ordered a new tank and will install. In the meantime I have rebuilt the carb and changed all fuel lines.

The last major job before splash is doing something with the bottom. I bought the boat a month ago. Before that it was on the hard since 2005. Just before being hauled in 2005 it had two fresh coats of Interlux Ultra with Biolux applied to the bottom. So according to the seller and the eye, the bottom was in pretty good shape other than a layer of oxidized something. Originally I planned to splash as is with a light power wash just before splash to remove the oxidation and reactivate the Interlux. After further thought and having seen the attached picture of the boat back in better days with a black bottom I decided to sand off the oxidation layer and recoat with Interlux changing the color to black with a couple of coats followed by splash.

So today I got most of the boat sanded and to my surprise I sort of like the fresh red color. I have two questions of the community here:

1. Anyone have a preference of red or black? Which one in your opinion goes better with the blue topsides? Is there any significance to either in the sailing world or is it just a matter of preference. I have included two pics to help.

2. What are the steps in recoating beyond the sanding I have done? You can see a few spots were very soft and went right down to barrier coat (yes there is an epoxy barrier coat beneath everything). Otherwise it seems to me I have a good fresh coat of Interlux Ultra to now paint over. But are there prep steps I may not be aware of?

I am planning to sail for a year and then haul for topside painting with the possibility of doing something different at that point with the bottom. Well thanks again to this great community. I feel the whole refit to be getting real close now for a splash. Enjoy the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sanded Hull.jpg (86.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Sanded Hull 2.jpg (95.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Sailing.jpg (44.6 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook