SailNet Community - View Single Post - West Marine no longer matching prices...
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013

davisr is on a distinguished road
Re: West Marine no longer matching prices...

I've spent countless dollars at the local West Marine, primarily through price-matching. When I discovered that this policy would, for all intents an purposes, end on March 1, I asked the manager what he thought about this new policy. He gave me the company line, saying that less than 3 percent of all retail sails nationally were through price-matching, but that because of this less than 3 percent group of people over $13 million dollars had been lost last year. I hastened to point out to him that WM didn't really lose $13 million in sales. They simply had $13 million in sales at competitors' prices. He muttered something about price points and then went on to say that after March 1 their retail prices would be coming down. This comeback really didn't make sense to me. Why would WM drop their retails prices for the oblivious 70percent, when they were worried about the 3 percent who were price matching? I told him that I liked spending my money locally at this WM, because it supported his job and the jobs of others in the store. I said, though, that unless the retail prices did in fact drop, then I would be sending my money northward to Defender. Have the prices dropped since March 1 . . . .? Nah. They've gone up.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook