SailNet Community - View Single Post - Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Alrighty, then...

Just a quick note tonite -- hope to get a more detailed installment (with pics) posted by the end of the week.

Here are a few pics just to whet your appetites:

I finally got around to ordering the replacement water pump. Quite a story there (which probably warrants its own dedicated thread), but here goes:

The water pump on a 4.108 has gone through several parts number changes over the years, and the number shown in the parts manual is definitely no longer available. The current number (which is a replacement for a replacement) is: U5MW0054. I called around to local agricultural shops (Massey Ferguson, Bobcat, etc) looking for one off the shelf close by, but no joy. Being a savvy internet shopper, I fired up the search engine and went to work. Almost all of the images shown on websites were of the pump with the pulley installed (a detail that will come back to haunt me as you will see.) I found a handful of vendors that carried them, and went with a diesel spares company in NY state that had it for $80. Three days later I got it delivered to my doorstep. After unpacking the box, I immediately noticed that the pump bodies were similar but not identical. Hmmm. I checked to see that the pump would bolt to the block -- everything lined up great. OK, I thought, maybe the new pump was just a better design. I then took my pulley and checked to see if it would begin to seat on the shaft -- Houston, we have a problem. The shaft was considerably larger than the bore of the pulley. WTF? After many hours of head scratching, and several phone calls, it turns out that the pump was a) a rebuilt pump (hence the bargain price), and b) mislabeled. Talking to an old timer who knows Perkins engines, he said the pump I got was for a 4.107 and should have been labeled as a U5MW0043. So, I called the first company back again and explained the problem, and asked if they had another 0054 pump in stock. They did, but it too was mislabeled. 'Nuf said, got an RMA and sent the pump back. I ordered the right pump from a different company and low and behold, the "real" 0054 is in fact damn near identical to the original.

So, painting is underway. I've been impressed with the Eastwood engine paint. Although my initial intention was to spray the block, the weather hasn't been cooperating. Sunday was a fine day, and I was able to spray a bunch of parts in the back yard. But since my next door neighbors had both of their cars parked in the driveway (and their kids also running around enjoying the nice day) I really couldn't wheel the block out and start spraying paint in my driveway -- I didn't think my neighbor would appreciate blue overspray highlights on his silver BMer.

Stay tuned...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39

Last edited by PorFin; 03-19-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook