SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Full or fin keel?

hannah, Jeanneau and Beneteau are building a number of the 30-40' boats in South Carolina. Although it might be north carolina! do not remember totally off the top of my head. The smaller sizes are not worth the cost to hip across that atlantic. I believe another European company is building stock Mini 6.5 boats in Texas, as again, a 22' boat is not worth the cost to ship across per say. Altho not sure how the Flying tiger 10m was getting shipped across the pacific to here.....none the less one is looking at 10-20K to ship boats from Europe to here in the nw etc. Hence why a number of years ago, beneteau started up the plant in SC, WHen things got slow, Jeanneau joined the plant so both could be better setup to compete here. 36' Jeanneaus the price did close to 20K less for a US built one than one built in Europe. The only thing built here per say is the hull and deck. The wood parts are still made in Europe, but shipped here on pallets and installed.

But I do agree, I do not really see any US companies that are building anything high tech per say. C&C and Tartan kinda sorta was for a bit......the new 101 looks promising. Santa Cruz has not taken off with any of those newer models that are nice and reasonably fast. Even the New York YC when they had a boat built for them, went with Swan! THere were a few that went after the project, including one NA setup, but even at half the cost did not get the contract!

In the end, I will prefer a fin over a full'ish keel. ALtho if I could somehow afford an old 12M, would settle for a 6M.......something about one of them.......But for general cruising and sailing, My Jeanneau works fine, altho wish I had a newer version!

marty