SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013

hannah2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Full or fin keel?

blt2ski, Yes we have a half dozen or so builders and I guess that is better than none at all. When you look at Europe though I see more than that just in the north of France. Maybe Paulo knows how many sailboat companies building boats from 10 meters up in Europe. Most of those companies seem to do well in a crowded market.
I don't think the Europeans have more money than we have at hand and the population base is close to ours. N. Americans love to sail too so I can't understand why our market is so bad. Maybe it is because we have lost our imagination or just isolated, I don't know, I wish I did know the answers.

When I read the blogs on these sailing forums the folks from N. America are still thinking old design for the most part. Old designs work very well in many cases, I've sailed them for 40 years. But I think we are going to have to get the bug and see what the rest of the world is seeing that we are not. If N. Americans can find out what the Europeans see in the new designs maybe we will get excited enough for adventure capitalists to front the money for new designs and new companies building more outstanding boats here in the new world. I like what they are doing over on Attainable Adventure Cruising in putting together a great seaworthy boat as more of an entry into long distance sailing for $200,000 USA. At least someone is trying hard and if they make it all come true I hope they build them in N. America.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook