SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
But I do agree, I do not really see any US companies that are building anything high tech per say.....

marty
Marty I guess you forgot J boats the American boat that is more sold in Europe than in the US

For some of the most interesting models they just make them in France. I mean not in the US and France but only in France. If you want a J122, one of my preferred boats, they just ship you one from France

Also I guess we can consider Corsair trimarans hig-tech boats. The only problem with Corsair is that they are in the US. I guess that they should do the same as J boats and move to Europe, at least for the bigger boats. I am sure the sales would increase substantially.

The problem in the US is the market I mean the proportion between motor boats and sail boats. Guys that have money buy in America a hugely bigger proportion of motor boats compared with sailboats.

Some years ago I had a look at all Boat show data in what concerning the percentage of sailboats compared with motorboats and the difference between Europe and US was huge not 2 times less, maybe 10 times less. That is the real problem. You need money, lots of it flowing to have a flourishing market. You need that the guys that have the money to change his boat anytime a more faster or nicer boat comes to the market start to buy sailing boats instead of motorboats or fast cars.

Without that you will not have a competitive market. imagine what would happen to the American automobile market if many didn't change for a new ride after 3 or 4 years and started to maintain and recover 20, 30 and 40 years old cars. Imagine all those huge car junkyards empty and all those cars circulating. Can you imagine what would happen to the competitiveness of the American car Industry face to others where they ditch older cars on a junkyard and keep buying new cars? I mean regarding means for innovating and researching?

I guess that is the American problem in what regards sailboats competitiveness: General interest in sailing.

Compare interest in sailing in US and France and you will understand why sailboat industry is so big in France and why the market is so competitive. Not only in France. The interest in Sailing in Italy and North of Europe is also big. Look at a small country like Denmark and look at the huge production of high quality top sail boats: X yachts, Dragonfly, Luffe, Nordship, Nordborg and I am sure there are much more small companies that I don't know about. Imagine that on a country with a bit more than 5 million people and you get the general picture.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 03-14-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook