SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Full or fin keel?

Paulo,

I would agree that J-Boats is probably building a reasonable high tech newish boat. Even still, when you look at the new models, it is J-boat. Look at Elan and Beneteau for two, and they have boats that cruise, then some race, and a couple do both to a degree. X-Yacht is getting into this mold now that they are getting bigger per say too.

Most of the J's I see around puget sound any how, are the what I would call more full bore racers, 105's for example. There is still sorta a J30 class still racing, lots of 24's, just enough 109's to make a 1d race every two yrs or so. I ca say the same for the b 36.7......C&C 115......mybe all of 7 or 8 in the whole of the salish sea.

But I would say most buy PB's here. As the wind will be light enough, or yo have to fight currents, that to get anywhere, you motor a lot! I know of one fellow that has been racing his 40' IOR style boat for 20 some odd years, he is looking to get a mid 40' sticker to cruise in! makes better time to and from etc. He can get a nice set up one for less money with more space than an equal sailboat. altho it doe cost way mre to operate........

marty